Open site navigation

Vacant Class Rep Seats

As you’ll have seen, the main cycle of UCDSU elections takes place at the start of the first semester. In October we elected 145 Class Reps to represent and campaign on behalf of their peers. But there are still vacant seats - if you’re interested in becoming a Class Rep in any of our vacancies, read on to find out more about the process involved in holding a by-election.

How do by-elections work?

According to the UCD SU Constitution, there are three stages to holding a by-election. First, ten or more members in a particular constituency must submit a petition to the Returning Office to request that nominations for a by-election are opened. Then, once that threshold has been reached, there is a nominations period where anyone keen to run for election submits their nomination. After the nominations period closes, the by-election is held, and successful candidates are elected.

So what do I have to do?

The first step is to advertise the vacant Class Rep seats to other members of your constituency, and make sure they know that they can request a by-election to be held. Any student can submit a request to open nominations by completing the ‘By-Election Request Form’:

When a minimum of 10 members have completed this form for a particular constituency, the Returning Office will declare nominations open in that constituency. Once they have done this, you can submit your nomination via the ‘By-Election Nomination Form’:

NOTE: In order to nominate yourself in a by-election, you have to supply a list of at least 5 members of your constituency who support your nomination. You must list their names, student numbers, and UCD Connect email addresses. If the information you provide is incorrect the Returning Office will not be able to confirm your nomination.

And then what?

Once the nominations period closes and the Returning Office has verified all nominations received, these will be announced via the UCD SU website and socials. Any candidates who are unopposed shall be deemed elected. If the by-election is contested, voting will then take place.

I’m still not clear what I have to do - who can I speak to?

If you’re unsure about how to proceed, you can reach out to Marina Lambrakis, the Union Returning Officer, on, or Leighton Gray, the Campaigns & Engagement Officer, on