UCD Students’ Union Privacy Notice (Personal and Special Category Data)
1. This Privacy Notice tells you what we do with information we collect about you. The
notice is addressed to individuals who are [users of our services, customers, website
users and third parties]. We refer to all these individuals as “[users]” or “you” in this
WHO WE ARE
2. We are UCD Students’ Union (“we”, “us” and “our”). This notice relates specifically to UCD Students’ Union and the events, programmes, opportunities, campaigns, competitions and services operated by it.
PERSONAL DATA WE USE
3. When providing our events, programmes, competitions and services we will ask for
information about you, such as your [name, student number, address, DOB, etc.] This is known as your “Personal Data”. We may also ask you for some special categories of information (for example [religion, health etc). This is known as your “Special Category Data”.
For the purpose of reference, we may collect your correspondence and communications with UCDSU.
DATA FROM OTHER SOURCES
4. We also collect information about you from other persons and this also forms part of “personal data”. This includes information from:
4.1 University College Dublin
4.2 MSL – Membership Solutions Limited
HOW WE USE YOUR PERSONAL DATA
5. We use your Personal Data and Special Category Data in the following ways:
To accurately record data about you and respond appropriately if you complete one of our forms on our website, such as:
• Complaints Procedure / Feedback Form
• Registering your details to become a Student Representative
• Registering your details in order to vote in UCDSU elections
• Asking for Advice from Advice SU
• Registering your interest in or participating in UCDSU’s opportunities and/or training programmes
• Signing up to UCDSU’s Newsletter
• Signing up to a competition run by the Students’ Union
• To provide goods and services to you
• To manage any registered account(s) that you hold with us
• To verify your identity
• For crime and fraud prevention, detection and related purposes
• With your agreement, to contact you electronically about promotional offers and products and services which we think may interest you
• Where we have a legal right or duty to use or disclose your information (for example in relation to an investigation by a public authority or in a legal dispute)
To accurately record data about you and respond appropriately if you complete a survey in which we have built on Survey Monkey, such as:
• SU Survey
• Competition sign ups
• Feedback of services, programmes, campaigns and events
To accurately record data about you and respond appropriately if you have registered for an event on Eventbrite, via a Microsoft Form or via Future Ticketing.
To contact you regarding the events, programmes, competitions and services of the Students’ Union.
REASONS WE CAN COLLECT AND USE YOUR PERSONAL DATA
6. We will only use your Personal Data if we have valid reasons for doing so. These
reasons are known as our “legal basis for processing”. In certain circumstances we may
ask for your consent to process your information. At other times we may be required to
process your information to enable us to fulfil our part of the contract we have with you.
There are circumstances where we have a legitimate interest to process your personal
data, for example to provide you with a service which you have requested. The legal
bases for processing your Personal Data are:
• We have a ‘legitimate business interest’ for processing your data. This allows us to
provide details of areas of the Students’ Union in which you have expressed an interest
• We will also contact you regarding past, existing, future or potential the events,
programmes, opportunities, campaigns, competitions and services operated by UCD Students’ Union.
• To continually improve the engagement of our services/work
WHO WE SHARE YOUR DATA WITH
UCDSU only allows its service providers to handle your personal data when we have confirmed that they apply appropriate data protection and security controls.
7. For administrative purposes, your data will be shared and processed by third party
• Mail Chimp
• Survey Monkey
• MSL – Membership Services Limited
8. We can share your information including Personal Data and Special Category Data with
the following parties for the purposes set out above. This is done in line with our Data
Protection Policy and Procedures.
• Mailchimp - to contact you regarding the events, programmes, competitions and services of the Students’ Union.
• Judging Panels of competitions where agreed
• ECWID & WIX - collecting contact information for form enquiries and processing online transactions
• Stripe - Payment gateway & parment processing
• MSL – for the purpose of verifying student accounts, and conducting online election processes.
9. Sometimes we will not stop using your information when you ask us to, for the reasons
described in this notice, but we will tell you about this if you make a request.
10. In other cases, if we stop using your information we will not be able to provide the
services that you are asking us to give you. We will tell you about this if you make a
OTHER THIRD PARTIES
Aside from our service providers, UCDSU will not disclose your personal data to any third party, except as set out below. We will never sell or rent our customer data to other organisations for marketing purposes. We may share your data with governmental bodies, regulators, law enforcement agencies, courts/tribunals and insurers where we are required to do so:
· To comply with our legal obligations,
· To exercise our legal rights (for example in court cases),
· For the prevention, detection, investigation of crime or prosecution of offenders, and
· For the protection of our employees and customers.
DATA PROCESSING OUTSIDE EUROPE
11. We will not transfer your Personal Data and Sensitive Personal Data outside of the
European Economic Area.
HOW LONG DATA PROCESSING INFORMATION WILL BE KEPT
12. We will keep your Personal Data and Sensitive Personal Data for up to 6 years from
termination of service/student relationship. We are only allowed to keep your information if we need it for one of the reasons described above.
13. You can contact us at the address above for one or more of the following reasons:
To ask us to fix information about you that is wrong or incomplete, this is known as your
right to rectification.
To ask us to delete information about you, this is known as your right to erasure.
To tell us you no longer agree to us using your information about you and ask us to
stop, this is known as the right to object.
To tell us to stop using information about you to sell you products and services, which is known as the right to restrict processing.
To make “subject access requests” - which is a request for us to send you the information we have about you.
To ask us to provide you or someone else (on your request) in a structured; commonly
used machine-readable format with the information you have provided to us about yourself. This is known as “data portability” right.
To ask us not to use information about you in a way that allows computers to make decisions about you based solely on automated processing.
14. Data Controller
UCD Students’ Union
15. You have the right to complain about how we treat your Personal Data and Special
Category Data to:
The Data Protection Commission
21 Fitzwilliam Square South
CHANGES TO THIS NOTICE
16. We may update this Privacy Notice from time to time. We will notify you of the changes where we are required by law to do so.
What Are Cookies
For more general information on cookies see the Wikipedia article on HTTP Cookies.
You can prevent the setting of cookies by adjusting the settings on your browser (see your browser Help for how to do this). Be aware that disabling cookies will affect the functionality of this and many other websites that you visit. Disabling cookies will usually result in also disabling certain functionality and features of this site. Therefore it is recommended that you do not disable cookies.
Site preferences cookies
In order to provide you with a great experience on this site, we provide the functionality to set your preferences for how this site runs when you use it. In order to remember your preferences, we need to set cookies so that this information can be called whenever you interact with a page is affected by your preferences.
Third Party Cookies
This site uses Google Analytics which is one of the most widespread and trusted analytics solutions on the web for helping us to understand how you use the site and ways that we can improve your experience. These cookies may track things such as how long you spend on the site and the pages that you visit so we can continue to produce engaging content.
For more information on Google Analytics cookies, see the official Google Analytics page.
From time to time we test new features and make subtle changes to the way that the site is delivered. When we are still testing new features these cookies may be used to ensure that you receive a consistent experience whilst on the site whilst ensuring we understand which optimisations our users appreciate the most.
We also use social media buttons and/or plugins on this site that allow you to connect with your social network in various ways. For these to work the following social media sites including, will set cookies through our site which may be used to enhance your profile on their site or contribute to the data they hold for various purposes outlined in their respective privacy policies.
However, if you are still looking for more information then you can contact us through one of our preferred contact methods: